The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.
- I like this book because it is short enough to read a 1-2 sittings and is very easy to apply to your relationships.
Divorce Busting: A step by step approach to making your marriage loving again by Michele Weiner-Davis.
- The first part of the book might be a little slow but the second half has some great applications for struggling relationships.
Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Dr. Sue Johnson.
- Dr. Johnson has developed a very successful method of couples therapy, the model I most often use with couples. Her self help book is an in depth read which can give couples a new understanding and direction for their relationship.
10 Great Dates Before You Say I Do by David & Claudia Arp and Curt & Natelle Brown.
- A great book to help couples prepare for marriage. Each chapter focuses on an important topics for premarital couples and has sections to complete individually and to talk through as a couple.
Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child: The Heart of Parenting by Dr. John Gottman.
- Gottman focuses on the often ignored or misunderstood role of emotions and emotional development. His techniques have been validated by research.
Scream Free Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool by Hal Edward Runkel.
- Scream Free focuses on how parents can change what is going wrong by learning how to control how they respond to their children.
Parenting with Love & Logic by Foster Cline and Tim Fay.
- This is a parenting classic. Love and Logic’s approach is understandable, easy to apply and the book gives lots of examples. Also look for their adapted versions for teens and young children.
How to Talk so Your Kids will Listen & How to Listen so Your Kids will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.
- Another classic in the parenting self help field. This book provides a wealth of examples on how to apply their ideas to daily situations.
Forgiving the Devil by Terry Hargrave
- A great book if you have been hurt by a loved one or had a long standing damaged relationship. Focuses on forgiveness, moving forward, and rebuilding relationships.
30 Day Love Detox by Dr. Wendy Walsh
- A good book about dating for modern singles. Walsh uses a lot of research and an evolutionary biology perspective to support her conclusions. I might take a different stance on some issues but I believe it is very helpful for singles who are navigating new dating scene that has changed vastly.
The Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner
- A classic book for women about handling relationship, where the root of bad relationship patterns come from and how to change yourself.